Dr. Abidah Parveen
Dr. Abidah is a distinguished faculty member in the field of Pharmacy and Pharmacognosy. Her passion for research led her to hold the distinction to become the first Pakistani to earn a PhD in Pharmacognosy from the USA. Also as the first Pakistani to graduate from the School of Pharmacy at the University of Mississippi in the USA, she has blazed a trail for other aspiring pharmacists from her country. Her dedication to excellence, passion for research, make her an invaluable asset to any academic institution.
Ph.D. Pharmacognosy, 2019; School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi, United States
- M. Phil in Pharmacognosy, 2007; Faculty of Pharmacy, Gomal University, Dera Ismail Khan, Pakistan
- Bachelor of Pharmacy, 1999; Faculty of Pharmacy, Gomal University, Dera Ismail Khan.
- Natural product isolation, de-novo structure elucidation and characterization of natural products
- Assessment of herb-drug interactions and bio-activity for safety and efficacy
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of plant samples and dietary supplements by developing validated analytical methods using hyphenated UHPLC-MS, HPTLC, etc.
- Morpho-anatomical study of medicinal plants
HEI Teaching Experience- 17 years
Assistant Professor (BPS-19), 1st June 2015- present; Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Abbottabad University of Science and Technology, Havelian, Pakistan
Assistant Professor (BPS-19), 8th November 2010 -31st May 2015; Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Havelian Campus, Hazara University, Mansehra, Pakistan
Lecturer (BPS-18), 29th September 2006-7th November 2010; Faculty of Pharmacy, Gomal University, D. I. Khan, Pakistan
- Poster Award First Place. 19th International Conference on the Science of Botanicals, United States. April 8-11, 2019
- Pharmacy Podium session, 3rd Place. Graduate Student Council 9th Annual Research Symposium, University MS, USA. March 26, 2019
- Poster Award 2nd Place. Pharmacy Poster, Graduate Student Council 8th Annual Research Symposium, University MS, USA, 2018
- Honorable Mention Prize. 17th International Conference on the Science of Botanicals, USA. 2017
- Fulbright PhD Scholarship Award. 2014
- Gold Medal for distinction in B. Pharmacy by Gomal University, Pakistan. 1999
- Dream builder certificate – Online certificate by Arizona State University on behalf of Freeport-McMorgan and Thunderbird for Good
- Advance HE Associate Fellow (AFHEA) certificate: Fellowship reference PR240460. September 18, 2022
- Capacity Building Program for Emerging Women Leaders by NAHE, HEC, Islamabad. November 17-22, 2022
- Reviewer for International Journals:
Journal of Natural Products, Natural Product Research, Fitoterapia, Human and Experimental Toxicology, Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology
- Omer I. Fantoukh, Yan-Hong Wang, Abidah Parveen, Mohammed F. Hawwal, Zulfiqar Ali, Gadah A. Al-Hamoud, Elizabeth Joubert, Amar G. Chittiboyina, Alvaro Viljoen, Ikhlas A. Khan. (2022). Chemical fingerprinting profile and targeted quantitative analysis of phenolic compounds from South African rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis) and dietary supplements using UHPLC-PDA-MS. Separations, 9, 159. https://doi.org/10.3390/separations9070159.
- Abidah Parveen, Manal Alhusban, Omer I. Fantoukh, Zulfiqar Ali, Amar G. Chittiboyina, Ikhlas A. Khan, Shabana I. Khan. (2022). Probing PXR activation and modulation of CYP3A4 by Tinospora crispa and Tinospora sinensis. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 291: 115159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2022.115159.
- Abidah Parveen, Mir Tahir Maqbool, Zulfiqar Ali, Ikhlas A. Khan, M Khalid Ashfaq. (2022). A preliminary assessment of Tinospora sinensis on mice liver. Journal of Health and Allied Sciences NU. 12(04): 454-458. DOI: 1055/s-0042-1742367
- Abidah Parveen, Ying Huang, Omer Fantoukh, Manal Alhusban, Vijayasankar Raman, Yan-Hong Wang, Wei Wang, Zulfiqar Ali & Ikhlas A. Khan (2021). Rearranged clerodane diterpenoid from Tinospora crispa. Natural Product Research. 35:3,369-376. DOI: 1080/14786419.2019.1633648.
- Omer I. Fantoukh, Yan-Hong Wang, Abidah Parveen, Mohammed F. Hawwal, Gadah A. Al-Hamoud, Zulfiqar Ali, Amar G. Chittiboyina, Ikhlas A. Khan. (2021). Profiling and quantification of the key phytochemicals from the Drumstick Tree (Moringa oleifera) and dietary supplements by UHPLC-PDA-MS. Planta Medica.87(5):417-427. doi: 10.1055/a-1240-6186.
- Abidah Parveen, Zulfiqar Ali, Omer Fantoukh, Manal Alhusban, Wei Wang, Amar G. Chittiboyina and Ikhlas A. Khan. (2020) Undescribed phenylpropanoid and a dimeric sesquiterpenoid possessing a rare cyclobutane ring from Tinospora sinensis. Natural Product Research. Apr 20;1-8. DOI: 10.1080/14786419.2020.1752207.
- Abidah Parveen, Mir Tahir Maqbool, Yan-Hong Wang, Zulfiqar Ali, Ikhlas A. Khan, M Khalid Ashfaq.(2020) Evaluation of the hepatotoxic potential of Tinospora crispa and its isolated borapetosides B, C and F in a murine model. Planta Medica. May;86(7):489-495 DOI: http://doi.org/10.1055/a-1127-7503.
- Abidah Parveen, John S. Adams, Vijayasankar Raman, Jane M. Budel, Jianping Zhao, Ganesh N.M. Babu, Zulfiqar Ali, Ikhlas A. Khan. (2020) Comparative morpho-anatomical and HPTLC profiling of Tinospora species and dietary supplements. Planta Medica. 86(7):470-481. DOI : https://doi.org/10.1055/a-1120-3711.
- Abbas Ali, Mohamed Ahmed Zaki, Abidah Parveen, Zulfiqar Ali, Ikhlas A Khan. (2020). Bioassay guided isolation of mosquito biting deterrent compounds from Strumpfia maritima. Pest Management Science. Jul;76(7):2342-2346. DOI: 10.1002/ps.5769.
- Abidah Parveen, Yan-Hong Wang, Omer Fantoukh, Manal Alhusban, Vijayasankar Raman, Zulfiqar Ali, Ikhlas A. Khan. (2020). Development of a chemical fingerprint as a tool to distinguish closely related Tinospora species and quantitation of marker compounds. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. Volume 178, 112894.
- Omer I. Fantoukh, M.A. Albadry, Abidah Parveen, Mohammed F. Hawwal, Tagreed Majrashi, Zulfiqar Ali, Shabana I. Khan, Amar G. Chittiboyina, Ikhlas A. Khan (2019) Isolation, synthesis, and drug interaction potential of secondary metabolites derived from the leaves of miracle tree (Moringa oleifera) against CYP3A4 and CYP2D6 isozymes. Phytomedicine. 60 (1–9). doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2019.153010.
- Omer I. Fantoukh, Olivia R. Dale, Abidah Parveen, Mohammed F. Hawwal, Zulfiqar Ali, Vamshi K. Manda, Shabana I. Khan, Amar G. Chittiboyina, Alvaro Viljoen, and Ikhlas A. Khan. (2019). Safety Assessment of Phytochemicals Derived from the Globalized South African Rooibos Tea (Aspalathus linearis) through Interaction with CYP, PXR, and P-gp. J Agric Food Chem. 67:4967-4975.
- Sheikh Zain Ul Abidin, Abidah Parveen, Raees Khan, Mushtaq Ahmad, Ikhlas A. Khan, I. A., & Ali, Z. (2018). Chemical constituents from Ferula oopoda (Boiss. & Buhse) Boiss. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 78, 49–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bse.2018.03.012.
- Muhammad Saleem Jilani, Kashif Waseem, Kehkeshan Ameer, Tehsin Ali Jilani, Mehwish Kiran, Atiq Ahmad Alizia, & Abidah (2013). Evaluation of elite tomato cultivars under the agro-climatic conditions of Dera Ismail Khan. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 50 (1).
- Abidah Parveen, Mohammad Irfan, Muhammad Saleem Jilani, Kashif Wasim, Mehwish Kiran, Fida Muhammad. (2013). Lack of brine shrimp lethality and hemagglutination activity in Grewia asiatica Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results 4(1). Doi: 10.4103/0976-9234.116754.
- Abidah Parveen, Mohammad Irfan, & Fida Mohammad. (2012). Antihyperglycemic activity in Grewia asiatica, a comparative investigation. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(1), 210-213.
- Zahid Rasul Niazi, Haroon Khan, Kamran Ahmad Khan, Azhar Hassan Shirazi, Asim.ur.Rehman, Abidah Parveen, Inayat Ullah Bhatti, A. S. (2010). Changes in blood glucose level, glycocylated hemoglobin level and lipid profile as a result of mono-hypoglycemic therapy (metformin) in type II diabetes mellitus. Gomal University Journal of Research, 26(1), 21–30.