Higher Education Commission (HEC) intends to develop and endure a dynamic and internationally competitive research sector in Pakistan that makes a major contribution to economic prosperity, national well-being and the expansion and dissemination of knowledge. Promotion of Research is one of the core strategic goals of the HEC. To follow this vision and on the directive of the HEC Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) was initially established in AUST in 2015 but recognized by Higher Education Commission (HEC) as 67th ORIC on 22nd August 2019. ORIC tries to promote teaching and research in emerging areas in Humanities, Social Sciences, Languages, Literature, Basic & Applied Sciences, and Engineering & Technology etc. The main role of ORIC is described below:
- Encourage and support formation of research groups in the relevant fields offered a University.
- Identify research opportunities for faculty, students and administrators.
- Collaborations with public and private industries/Organizations in the form of MOUs.
- Collaborations with public and private Universities in the form of MOUs.
- Provide support to all teaching departments and attached faculty to apply for research grants and identify research funding opportunities.
- Introduce the incentive policies for faculty to write proposals and win research grants and write research papers
- Legal, administrative and financial management support of research grants
- Support commercialization, licensing etc, of the university research products
- Promotion of the research culture
- Encouraging the publishing of the subject journals
- Focal point for all the research related works in connection with funds/liaison with the funding agencies
- Creating awareness regarding the ongoing research.
- To strengthen university-industry linkages through ORIC
- Arranging Research Seminars/Conferences and provide information and assistance to welcome participants all over Pakistan
- To bring the quality of research at par with international standards
- Responsible to interact with HEC and get updates
- Maintain efficient and productive communication channels with HEC and other funding agencies
- To keep track of all the researches carried out in the University by faculty and staff and then commercialize the relevant research to reap maximum benefit for the industry and therefore translating the research into public benefit.
Researcher/ departments/faculty are therefore requested to send all research grant applications/ funding requests for research activities to any funding agency through ORIC.
There are three Core areas;
- Research Development and operation
- Research Commercialization/entrepreneurship/Linkages/Seminars